Every KPSGA Member Guide must pass a test. Here are some sample questions.
BRONZE-LEVEL SAMPLE QUESTIONS
1. What is the most important use of an animal’s horns?
a. digging the soil for food
b. scratching their bodies
c. For self defence
d. never use them for anything
2. Which carnivore has the strongest jaw?
d. Wild Dog.
3. For approximately how long can a hippo stay under water?
a. 5 mins
b. 9 mins
c. 12 mins
d. 15 mins
4. Which Mongoose from the following is active during the night?
c. White tailed
5. Which endangered Giraffe has been translocated to Nakuru National Park and Nairobi’s Giraffe Centre?
6. What is the average life-span of an elephant?
a. 50 years
b. 55 years
c. 60 years
d. 70 years
7. Which of the following animals is taxonomically related to the Kongoni?
8. What is the approximate gestation period of the Rock Hyrax in months?
9. If you visit Tsavo parks which Baboons would you encounter there?
10. Which of the following mammals is the heaviest in the world?
d. Blue Whale
11. Which of the following antelopes is adapted to living on rocky outcrops?
12. Which of the following is a ruminant?
13. What is the name of the Stork-like bird which makes one of the largest nests in the world?
a. Goliath Heron,
c. Black Stork
14. Which is the smallest Owl in Kenya?
a. Sokoke Scops-Owl
b. Pemba Scops-Owl
c. African Scops-Owl
d. White faced Scops-Owl
15. Which group does the White-bellied Go-Away Bird belong to?
16. Which bird is the Secretary Bird most closely related to?
b. Tawny Eagle
17. Which of the actions below makes Cuckoos ‘parasitic breeders’?
a. They eject another birds eggs, then lay their own and incubate them
b. They paralyse grubs for food for their young
a. They build their nests with parasites
b. They lay their eggs in other bird’s nests and take no care of their chicks
18. One of the following birds is a Palaearctic (Eurasian) migrant, which one is it?
a. Southern Pochard
b. Red-backed Shrike
c. Klass’s Cuckoo
d. Pied Crow
19. Which of the following trees that can be found between an altitude of 1,000m and below?
a. Candle Nut
b. Black Wattle
c. Sycamore Fig
20. What is the name of the delicate-looking flower, often coloured purple or yellow and seen growing on a long thin straight stem above long grass?
a. Aloe Vera
21. Pyrethrum is indigenous to which one of these countries?
c. Former Yugoslavia
FISH & REPTILES
22. Kenya’s coast is an enormous tourist destination that also attracts sports fishermen from all over the world. Which of these fish is the most commonly caught, tagged and released?
23. Which of these lizards is nocturnal?
24. Which snake from the following is non-poisonous?
c. Sand Boa
d. Sea Snake
INSECTS & TRIBES
25. To which of the following insects are termites related?
b. Safari Ants
26. To which of the following insects is the spider closely related?
27. Which is the smallest ethnic group in Kenya today?
a. El Molo
28. Apart from the Maasai which other tribe is a speaker of Maa?
29. Who was the first European to climb to the peak of Mt. Kenya?
30. Which town or city in Kenya has the longest established National Museum of Kenya?
31. One square mile is approximately how many square kilometres?
HISTORY & GEOGRAPHY
32. Mzee Jomo Kenyatta’s real name was?
a. Peter John Kamau
b. John Kamau Muigai
c. John Muigai Ngengi
d. Johnstone Kamau Ngengi
33. Which is the oldest hotel in Nairobi?
34. Vasco Da Gama reached Malindi in which year?
35. The Aberdares National Park is an important wildlife refuge. What else is it important for?
a. Treetops Hotel
c. Watching Buffalo
d. Water Catchment
36. Around which town in Kenya is the tea industry based?
37. Why is the east coast of Africa dangerous nowadays?
b. El Ninyo
d. Very Windy
KWS QUESTIONS & FIRST AID
38. Which of the following is the KWS logo?
a. Giraffe and Eland
b. Elephant and calf
c. Rhinoceros and Hippopotamus
39. Your client is feeling the effects of heat exhaustion. What should you do?
a. Put them in the recovery position in a shade
b. Lay them down under a shade and give them sips of coke
c. Give them sips of ½ lt. of water with ½ a teaspoon of salt and lay them down
d. Give them water & tell them to suck on sweets
40. Hypoxia means
a. Not enough Hydrogen
b. Too much oxygen
c. Not enough oxygen
d. Too much Water
h2. SILVER-LEVEL SAMPLE QUESTIONS
1. The Hyraxes account for some of the few non-primates where the teats are found on the chest (between the forelegs). Name two other mammals apart from primates, with this feature that are found in Kenya.
2. Give an example of a pattern change, as a young animal becomes adult, displayed in mammals, birds, insects, reptiles and fish and indicate which pattern changes to what?
3. List five behavioural differences between Common and Grevy Zebras ?
4. Some people claim that the Rock Hyrax is closely related to the Elephant., list five similarities ?
READING LIST — BRONZE & SILVER-LEVELS
- AFRICAN MAMMALS — JONATHAN KINGDOM
- BEHAVIOUR GUIDE TO AFRICAN MAMMALS — R.D. ESTES
- THE SAFARI COMPANION — R.D. ESTES
- TRACKS AND SIGNS OF SOUTHERN & EASTERN AFRICAN WILDLIFE — C. AND T. STUART
- BIRDS OF KENYA — ZIMMERMAN, TURNER & PEARSON
- FIELD GUIDE TO THE BIRDS OF BIRDS OF EAST AFRICA – T. STEVENSON & J. FASHAWE
- TREES & SHRUBS OF EAST AFRICA UPDATED VERSION – NAJAMA DHARANI
- WAYSIDE FLOWERS OF KENYA (latest Version) — TERESA SAPIEHA
- BLUNDELLS FLOWERS — MICHAEL BLUNDELL
- TREES OF KENYA 3RD EDITION — TIM NODE AND ANN BIRNIE
- TREES, SHRUBS AND LIANAS — ADAMSON
- REPTILES OF EAST AFRICA – STEPHEN SPAWLS, KIM HOWELL, ETC…
- FIELD GUIDE TO SNAKES AND OTHER REPTILES OF SOUTHERN AFRICA — BILL BRANCH
- REPTILES & AMPHIBIANS OF EAST AFRICA – NORMAN G. HEDGES [OR ANY OTHER AVAILABLE REPTILE BOOK]
- AFRICAN INSECTS — SKAIFE [OR ANY OTHER AVAILABLE INSECT BOOK]
- THE WILDLIFE (CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT) ACT, CHAPTER 376 INCLUDING ALL AMENDMENTS
- WILDLIFE CONSERVATION AND TOURISM IN KENYA — DANIEL M. NYEKI
- NATIONAL PARK RULES
- 50 YEARS OF CHALLENGE AND ACHIEVEMENT — NATIONAL PARKS OF KENYA
- HISTORY GOVERNMENT FORM 1-4
- NATIONAL PARKS OF EAST AFRICA — J.G. WILLIAMS
- CURRENT MAP OF KENYA
- OXFORD 360 ATLAS – OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS [OR ANY GOOD ATLAS]
- GEOGRAPHY FORM 1-4
- COLLINS PHOTO GUIDE — ROCKS, MINERALS & GEMSTONES
- ST. JOHN’S AMBULANCE FIRST AID BOOK
- WILDERNESS GUARDIAN — TIM CORFIELD
- EAST AFRICA SAFARI QUIZ BOOK — BOGDEN & STEPHEN ROZWADOSKI
- ANY GOOD “GUIDE TO KENYA” BOOK
- BE FAMILIAR WITH CURRENT AFFAIRS